Tejpatta (bay leaf) is a type of spice that has a high content of copper, potassium, calcium, magnesium, selenium, and iron. The fresh leaf is an Ayurvedic herb, used in cooking fresh or dried bay leaves for their distinct taste and aroma. Is used. These leaves are often used for flavoring in Mediterranean dishes such as soups, stews, braises, etc. If eaten whole, bay leaves are hard and have a bitter taste.
The bay leaf is an aromatic leaf commonly used in cooking. It can be used whole, or as dried and ground.
Bay leaves come from several plants, such as Bay laurel, California bay leaf – the leaf of the California bay tree, Indian bay leaf, Indonesian bay leaf or Indonesian laurel, west Indian bay leaf, and Mexican bay leaf. The fresh leaves are very mild and do not develop their full flavor until several weeks after picking and drying.
Benefits of bay leaf:
- Benefits of bay leaf in digestion - Organic compounds found in fresh leaves are very good for reducing symptoms of stomach discomfort, irritable bowel syndrome or celiac disease.
- The properties of bay leave help in the treatment of diabetes - it reduces the level of blood glucose, cholesterol, and triglyceride. You can also make a powder of these leaves to get more benefits and can reduce the level of sugar in your body by consuming it for 30 days. Consuming this can control the functioning of your heart.
- Anti-cancer properties - Fresh leaves contain caffeic acid, Quercetin, Eugenol and catechins that have chemo-protective properties that help prevent various types of cancer.
- Benefits of bay leave for a kidney - For this, boil 5 grams bay leaves in 200 ml of water till the mixture becomes 50 grams. Drink this decoction regularly twice a day, it will help prevent the formation of kidney stones.
- The properties of bay leaves are beneficial for hair - After rinsing the hair with shampoo, to soak the hair with bay leaves, soak the bay leaves in water for some time and then clean your hair with that water. This will help you in preventing hair loss.
- Benefits of bay leaf to lose weight - For this, you need 3 bay leaves, 1 piece of lentil sugar and one teaspoon of green tea. Mix these ingredients in boiling water and allow it to boil for 10-15 minutes. Then you can filter it and consume it as a weight loss drink. Drink this tea three times a day for a week. It is believed that consuming this tea in the morning, after breakfast and before bedtime for 7 days can reduce your weight.
- Uses of bay leave to keep the heart healthy - Fresh leaves contain useful compounds such as rutin, salicylates, caffeic acid and phytonutrients that promote heart health and improve heart function.
- Benefits of bay leaf to relieve stress - Linalool is mostly found in thyme and basil. But it is also present in bay leaves and helps in reducing the level of stress hormones in the body.
Is bay leaf safe or poisonous?
There is a misconception that bay leaves are poisonous. However, bay leaves used for cooking/kitchen purposes are not poisonous. A pair of bay leaf species that are poisonous, especially cherry laurel and mountain laurel, but these varieties are not sold as herbs and spices.
Bay leaf storage:
Fresh bay leaves can be stored in a ziptop bag and stored in the refrigerator. They can stay this way for a week or two. Dried bay leaves can be stored in a sealed container in a cool, dry and dark spice cabinet. Another option is to store the dried bay leaf in a freezer and seal. This bay leaves help to retain its taste and aroma.