Mace, known as Javitri in Hindi, is a Indian spice that is obtained from the Myristica fragrance tree. The seed of the tree is nutmeg. Mace is a net-like covering that covers the nutmeg seed coat. Mace has a higher concentration of the same essential oil as the nutmeg thus giving a more intense flavor.
It is a golden-colored spice that covers nutmeg with a hard shell. The Ayurvedic name of this spice is jatisasya or jatifala and is rich in many nutrients. The benefits of mace are for insomnia, congestion, congestion, asthma etc. Javitri is used as a spice by making powders that help to provide a variety of health benefits.
Mace is the native to the Banda islands in Indonesia and commonly used in South Asian cuisines. In India, mace is commonly known as Javitri. It is widely grown in tropical regions like China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan, Caribbean Islands, Sri Lanka, India and South America. The tree also is the source for essential oils, extracted oleoresins and nutmeg butter.
Benefits of mace:
- Used to balance the blood sugar levels and to treat urinary tract infections.
- Very useful in clearing throat, cough, asthma, throat pain, irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea due to its water-absorbing and sputum absorbing properties.
- It acts as an appetizer, improves taste and digestion strength.
- If you are suffering from kidney stones, it dissolves them effectively. This way it acts as a natural remedy for treating kidney infections and other conditions that could be attributed to kidneys.
- It is known to be a memory booster and it increases the ability to pay attention while on work to detailing.
- Mace has an amazing aroma and thus used for preparing perfumes. It enhances the taste of your culinary delicacies.
- Javitri spices have good anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and soothing properties. Due to these properties, it helps in reducing the irritation of the skin and hydrates the skin cells.
- It is known to relieve depression.
Side-effects of Mace:
- Mace is a plant product and is unsafe if consumed in larger than permissible quantities. It could be one of the major reasons for a miscarriage in a pregnant woman or a defect in the newly born.
- Excessive consumption of mace may pose a risk to breast-feeding mothers.
Storage of Mace:
If stored well mace retains its fresh taste for at least 6 months. So make sure you store it in an airtight container in a cool, dry and dark place.